[Steam-engine] hobby boilers

Jeff Smith steamenginesmitty at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 20:16:37 PDT 2004

I live in Florida and have a small live steam
locomotive.  The state doesn't even look at our scale
stuff, it is my understanding that inspections have
been placed in the hands of the live steam clubs.
Although there is one provision that a friend of mine
used to his advantage to get around the state.  He
built the firebox 1" smaller in all directions than a
section of the statutes that considered it model.  He
then used copper tubes to make up for the heat loss.
It runs very well on wood and coal even though the
firebox is fairly small.

My train has an all copper boiler and would never pass
according to the code, but it was built by a copper
boiler company and I don't have any trouble by being
in a club.  I do have it apart right now to fix items,
but hope to get it back on the track when I can work
in the garage when it is cooler and there are no more
crazy hurricanes!!!  I spent all day cleaning up the
damage and not working on engines, but maybe next
week.....

Jeff Smith
Port St. Lucie, FL