OT: High taxes (was Re: [AT] Concrete slab- Subdivision Development

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 15:17:37 PST 2004

As a member of my town's governing body and also member of the Planning
Board, I have observed that for every house that is built, the town gets
2.1 school age children. And real estate taxes are based on the
(approximate) market value of the home. So new homes tend to get taxed
slightly higher than older homes, but it still remains that for every
home built, the net taxes collected are less than the cost of increased
infrastructure (town services, schools, etc.). And the schools don't
have to be fancy to be expensive. Again, in NJ, the standards for how a
school is built and what goes into it are determined not by the local
school board but by some bureaucrats at the state capital. So when, for
instance, the local K-8 school is at capacity (determined by the state),
the very next house built will force the town to spend $10-20 million
for a new school or at least, an expensive addition. And if the sewer
system is at capacity, the next subdivision is going to cost the town
millions for an upgrade. And another interesting law in our state is
that you can't stick the new homes with the additional cost - it has to
be distributed evenly over all the taxpayers.

Now this has two interesting ramifications: 1. as the taxes go up, older
residents with no children at home are forced to move out (as Cecil is
doing), and the folks coming in will be younger families with children.
You can see where that leads. 2. Owners of farmland acreage will find
themselves pressured by encroaching development and rising taxes and
sell out to developers, who build more houses on the acreage, increasing
the number of school age children.

What we did in our town was try to contain the growth by creating an
"open space" plan and buying up undeveloped property, as well as
participating in "farmland preservation" programs. This has helped, but
there are still development applications coming in regularly, and the
builders have a very powerful lobby at the state capital, and we are
only a little rural town. When we try to stop them, they take us to
court and win. :-( We just lost two the other day that will be 40
individual homes and 230 townhouses on top of a ridge that can be seen
for 20 miles. The same developer is also going against our wishes in
building 180 units of townhouses adjacent to some wetlands - a future
slum just waiting to happen. Between the two developments, we will
definitely need a new school, addition to the sewer plant, and some
other stuff I have forgotten. I have lived here for 35 years and love my
place, but I am retired now and may not be able to afford the increase
in taxes that are sure to come in the next few years. :-( :-(

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -Bertrand
Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate (1872-1970)