[AT] Concrete slab- Subdivision Development

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Mon Nov 29 06:03:30 PST 2004

> Hi Cecil,
>
> Actually the influx of folks from up your way HAS reduced our tax rates. The county is building buildings, adding services and hiring folks like crazy but the tax rates have held their own or come down for the last several years.  Of course the inflation in property values caused by the same chain of events have made the actual tax BILL higher.
>
> Charlie

	Sad to say, you cannot depend on this situation staying the
way it is. What has happened here with all these newcomers is the
demand for more and more services and added expense to go with it.
As long as the local residents outnumbered the newcomers, the taxes
stayed pretty stable here too. But, as soon as these people outnumbered
the locals, they started voting in bigger and more expensive schools,
wanted bigger and more expensive highway departments and on and on and
on until they raised the taxes out of sight. Our tax INCREASE in school
taxes alone on this property for the year 2004-2005 was over $6000. I
have to say this was a bitter pill to swallow.

	Take our Township highway department for example. In New York
these Town highway departmenst normally have between 3 and 6 or 7 men
in the departments. Ours has 18 now with a full time "sit at a desk"
superintendent. They do a great job and the roads are just great - no
doubt about it but it is expensive. The newcomers want to drive the
full speed limit no matter what the weather is and in the winter they
want the roads broom clean.

	Another ha ha  -  I believe the dog warden has a 4WD vehicle.
I seriously doubt the need for this. I remember back in the 1980s when
I went to Massachusetts to build Cable TV systems and the people there
had just voted in Proposition 2 1/2 to lower excessive property taxes.
I noticed the Dog Warden in one of the local Townships had a brand new
$75K Telsta bucket truck. Guess why??  To get cats out of trees. Geez,
I never heard of anything so rediculous but it goes to show you how
taxes go up if the people allow it. Did you ever see a cat skeleton up
in a tree?

	So, watch the taxes, Charlie. And believe me they bear watching.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson