[AT] Small show Nov. 20

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Nov 27 19:54:05 PST 2004

George:

Here it is, now we are really showing our age!:

"Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga" - On the sitcom THE JACK BENNY
SHOW/CBS/1950-65 (and on radio) Mel Blanc played a Union Depot train caller
who announced via megaphone or loudspeaker system the trains arriving and
departing from the station. For example, "Train leaving on Track 5 for
Anaheim, Azusa and Cuuuu-ca-mon-gaaa!" After repeated announcements, the
train caller continued "Look we're not asking much. Two of ya, or even one
of ya...just somebody to keep the engineer company." And still later
"Please, please! I'll get fired if I don't get somebody on the train for
Anaheim, Azusa and Cuuuu-ca-mon-gaaa!" For comic tension, the show's writers
often experimented with the pause placing it between "Cuuu" and
"Ca-mon-gaaa." Once a whole comedy skit was inserted in between the pause.
TRIVIA NOTE: In February 1993, the California town of Rancho Cucamonga, made
famous by Jack Benny's long-running gag, erected a statue honoring the late
comedian.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door