[AT] Gas Tank sending unit needed

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Nov 26 03:34:50 PST 2004

When I ran a service station back in the '60s, we used that method to
find out how much gasoline was in our tanks (so that we could arrange
for deliveries). I am sure that this method is still used today: The
sticks were very long and marked in inches. We would "stick" the tank,
note how many inches of fuel we had, then go to a chart provided by the
tank manufacturer to convert that into gallons. I assume that similar
arrangements were used on long haul truck saddle tanks, because I
acquired a similar (much shorter) stick with a rawhide loop that is
marked in inches with an ad from a long gone truck stop. I would think
that it would be easy enough to start with an empty tank, and add fuel
by the pint and mark the stick appropriately to provide an accurate
measure of how much is in in the tank. Then you have to paint the stick
and markings with something that gasoline won't attack.

While I freely admit to using the old stick with the "yeah, that looks
like enough to finish this field" method on most of my tractors, I have
no doubt that the engineers among us would benefit from the approach
outlined above. :-)

It is now 6:30 AM, and I am already looking forward to a turkey sandwich
for lunch. :-)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -Bertrand
Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate (1872-1970)