[AT] Gas Tank sending unit needed

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 11:27:56 PST 2004

I am receiving Email messages all out of order and several days late. I
know this has been discussed by others, but I will throw in my two cents:

The sender on my 706 was bad, and I got a used one from Biewers
<www.salvagetractors.com> that worked just fine. The one my 240U was bad
also, as was the gauge. So I replaced both with a set that I got from JC
Whitney for less than $20. The top of the sender didn't match up 100%
with the holes in the top of the 240 tank, so I used the screw holes I
could and just sealed the rest with gasket cement.

And, as others have mentioned, there is no polarity in the sender (it is
just a variable resistor), but the gauge very likely be polarity
dependent, since it is essentially just a calibrated voltmeter. So you
need to match the sender with the gauge, or you will have useless
readings (although I suspect you could experiment and find a resistor
that you could put in line with a sender to come up with the correct
range, or at least one that is close).

Mike

Lane Freeman wrote:
> I'm looking for a Gas Tank sending unit for an International 340 Utility,
> anyone have any ideas?  I've tried my local IH dealer but they are no longer
> made.  I tried a Massey unit but it didn't work since it was 6 volt negative
> ground.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Lane Freeman
> New Tripoli, PA

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -Bertrand
Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate (1872-1970)