[AT] 460 What do you think?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Nov 23 09:54:53 PST 2004

Ricky Prescott wrote:
> I am thinking since the tractor has sat for a while and not run I need to
> pull the injectors and have them tested before I try and start it up.  Also
> I am going to replace all the glow plugs.  Don't you think this is a good
> idea?  Or what should I do?  I have never tried to get a diesel running
> after it has been idle for some time.  What is the best thing to do here?
> All I have to go on is what the previous owner has told me.  He told me he
> started it and it blew specks of diesel all over his barn.  He had it
> running for about 30 minutes.  He hasn't done anything to it since.  Thanks,
There should be a gauge below the instrument panel that swings all the
way to the right when the glow plug button is pushed in (and the key is
"on"). That shows the current going to the glow plugs. If it doesn't
swing hard over to the right, then you might have one or more bad ones.
They are easy to test - remove the wire going to each plug and put an
ohmmeter between the terminal and a good ground. There should be pretty
nearly no resistance; if you don't show anything, then the plug is bad.
In order to start that engine, you need to have the glow plugs on for
about a minute; anything less, and it probably won't fire up. If you can
  get 2 or 3 cylinders firing, the rest will usually fire up after a
minute or two of running.

It is certainly possible, as someone wrote in, that you have the rings
stuck on one or more cylinders, or a valve that is hanging open. The
only way to determine that without tearing into the engine is to do a
compression test. Unfortunately, the compression tester that you would
use for a gasoline engine is useless for a diesel - the pressures are
much higher. But it is probably better to pull the injectors  and have
them tested at a diesel shop before you start tearing things down.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -Bertrand
Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate (1872-1970)