[AT] Homemade trailers

Jim and Lyn Evans jevans at evanstoys.com
Mon Nov 15 18:32:40 PST 2004

In Iowa you just give them 10 bucks or so and come home with a plate.

The $800 trailers from Texas, etc usually have used tires, brakes only one
axle if at all, cheap lights, and are fairly light construction. However, it
will be hard to build a trailer yourself that cheap.
If you spend $1500 to $1800 you will get a trailer heavy enough to put a
tractor on and it will have a lot more quality components.

My current trailer is 7 x 16, 6000 lb axles with 15" tires, with brakes on
one axle.  I think it was around $1500 new.  It is a pretty good trailer and
I have had no problems with it.

I really want to upgrade to a larger bumper pull trailer:  My want list:
18' with 2' beaver or 20' straight
7000 lb axles with 16" E range tires
Brakes on both axles
DOT lighting
Heavy tongue jack
Chain box.

The trailer needs to go behind my pickup camper, otherwise it would probably
be a gooseneck.

Jim