[AT] Shop heating

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sat Nov 13 07:11:15 PST 2004

A slight twist on this subject is the tobacco curing burners Al mentioned.
They were the demise of  many old tractors as tobacco barns burn easily and
often had a tractor parked under the shelter.

In the late 50's the burners got a lot safer but some of the early ones were
down right dangerous.  One such brand was called a Buck Eye burner.  (I
don't think that is a reference to the buckeye state and I certainly don't
mean this as in insult.)  They were kerosene pot burners.  A typical tobacco
barn had 4 of these equally spaced in the square barn.  Tobacco in it's
final stage of curing is at about 160 to 180 degrees and near zero humidity.
The burners were only enclosed by a thin sheet metal cover that was maybe 3
to 4 feet in dia. and about 4 heet high and they were located directly under
the drying tobacco with only about 2 to 4 feet of clearance.

We lost one barn when I was about 6 or 7.  One burner went out during final
curing.  Daddy's hired man decided the kerosene line going to the burner was
clogged.  He went to daddy's service station, got a portable air tank and
proceeded to blow out the line while the barn was at about 155 degrees or
so.   Only problem was that he removed the wrong kerosene line and proceeded
to blow 100 psi air into the line of a burning burner.  I guess you can
imagine how fast the barn burned to the ground.  Didn't matter. There was no
fire department to call anyway and nothing but a hand pump for water.

When daddy rebuilt the barn we switched all the barns over to Gas-To-Bac
burners.  These were gas burners like the round ones you see under outdoor
cookers (fish stew, turkey friers, etc).  There were 16 of these to a barn
(4 rows of 4) and they were fed by  3/4 inch pipe.  They had a simple cover
over them that consisted of 4 stamped metal legs supporting a more or less
flat to about 2 feet in diameter.  Under that a sheet metal "pipe" about
10" diameter and 8" long hung by small chains so that it surrounded the
burner. We had a 1000 gal gas tank for 2 barns that were side by side.  I
can't remember how much gas it  took per barn but the tank had to be filled
several times during the 6 week or so curing season.

I never thought to put any of those burners up.  There should be a whole
barn full of them still at the  farm but I haven't looked in a few years and
I suspect they have been stolen by now.  I have some of the actual cast iron
burners put up but never, until this moment, thought of saving any of the
covers.  I guess I need to venture into the old barn or what's left of it.

Charlie