[AT] Oliver Lessman 25 info. wanted

Danny Tabor dannytabor2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 17:24:54 PST 2004

     I'm at a loss. Quite awhile ago I had purchased
an Oliver Lessman 25. Now this tractor is an Oliver
70(or25) industrial with a Lessman loader mounted on
it.
      The loader is raised up by a winch mounted
directly on the rear of the tractor at the PTO. Its a
2 wheeled winch w/ one cable that runs thru a series
of pulleys that leads to each wheel on the winch. This
is so the arms can be raised evenly. The bucket is
trip. The framing/or track of the loader stands
probably about 7 feet from the ground.
      About 6 years ago I was hot on the trail of
learning about the Lessman Loader Company when a
Fordson collecter sent me pictures of a Lessman
Fordson he was restoring. That along with the phone
number of a Mr. "?" Lessman. Along with the memory of
his first name I've also since lost the phone number
and pictures.
     However, I did at the time call Mr. Lessman and
had wonderful, educational conversations about his
uncles company. I recall making a series of 4
telephone calls each one began as if he hadn't spoken
to me before and ending by his taking my address to
send further information. He was very excited that
someone was taking interest in the Lessman Company and
so I don't believe he was trying to brush me off. I
believe he suffered from age and forgetfulness. This
is something the Fordson collector had warned me
about.
    Mr. Lessman had told me that Lessman mostly used
Fordsons and Fords, however for a short time they did
use Oliver 25's. He never specified why they strayed
from Ford or give any specifics of what arrangement
Lessman had with Oliver. He did tell me Lessman would
purchase a rail car of tractors. With the Olivers,
they would purchase the tractors minus the front axle,
back hubs and wheels. They would put their own heavier
axle and hubs on and of course the PTO was not there
so they can put on their winch.
     Well thats as far as I've gotten on my search for
info. about this Company. Now more than ever I'd like
to learn all I can about Lessman, before, during and
after the Oliver years. I'd like to write an article
about this company for the Oliver Heritage Magazine.
Any shred of information or help anybody can give
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank all of you in advance
        Danny Tabor