[AT] Question about modern 4WD tractor (while watching Oliver Super77 Diesel)

Ernie Thackeray cchopper at mchsi.com
Tue Nov 30 05:27:04 PST 2004

Grant,

Many years ago JI Case came out with the statement to the effect, not to
pull a tractor at full drawbar load less than 4 mph.  I've worked for a
competitor for many years (even before this  statement was made) and our
guideline has been very similar.  Your operator's manual should state
the minimum and the maximum amount of slip you must have.  If you have
too much you are wasting energy.  If you have too little you are going
to fail your drive train.  Your engine will probably survive OK but your
drive train will not.  I'm not "throwing stones" at your brand, our
brand will fail the drive train also.  I've always compared hard heavy
pulls on modern farm equipment to tractor pullers.  Tractor pullers pull
heavy weights/loads but their wheels have "plenty" of slip.  The key to
power train longevity is to have gear tooth contact for a minimum amount
of time and use the proper lubrication.

Again, your OM should call out the minimum mph or gear to operate your
tractor in for extended heavy pulling.

Good luck,
Ernie