[AT] Question about modern 4WD tractor (while watching Oliver Super 77 Diesel)

James Yost jnyost at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 03:46:57 PST 2004

Grant,

You usually figure on 30HP per shank on sub soiling.
Sounds to me like you are using the tractor for what
it is built for. If that tractor is pulling that deep
chisel without much bogging down or over heating I
would just keep doing what you are doing.

With FWA or 4WD you can figure it will pull like a 2WD
that has 10 to 20 more HP. You can get "all" the HP to
the ground with FWA or 4WD but you really can not get
"all" the hp to the ground on an 2 WD.

Keep chiseling until she breaks then go buy a John
Deere. 8-))))))))))))

Have fun, Jim

--- Grant Brians <gbrians at hollinet.com> wrote:

> This question is probably directed primarily at Mike
> Sloane as he has recent
> experience with New Holland 4WD tractors. I have
> been driving my 1996
> NH6610S with mechanical 4WD ripping fields. For
> those not in California, we
> typically mechanically work the vegetable fields 2-3
> feet deep to break up
> hardpan, aid in leaching salt from irrigation water
> and ease root
> penetration every so often. To eke out the last
> horsepower out of the
> tractor and aid in traction, I am running full time
> in four wheel drive.
> This is nominally about an 80hp tractor, but it was
> dyno tested at 93hp just
> before I bought it by the dealer. In the loam and
> clay soils (heavy...) that
> I work, I'm running 3 shanks between 20 and 28
> inches deep in third gear at
> around 3.5mph.
>     The question is, using the full power of the
> tractor as I am, am I
> hurting it? I don't think so, but would like some
> feedback.
>     Also, I must comment on the Oliver reference in
> the email title. One of
> our Olivers is a Super 77 Diesel wide front with
> cultivating bars. It is the
> preferred tractor by the renter's tractor drivers
> for seeding with their air
> seeder and other things - they much prefer it to the
> modern (last ten years)
> tractors they were using before! It is smoother,
> quieter and just easier to
> operate - except for that lack of power steering and
> even that is not enough
> to overcome their like for the tractor.
>         Grant Brians
>         Hollister, California