[AJD] Carburetor woes...

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 21:26:48 PST 2004

I have a 1951 A that I have had a love hate
relationship with for quite some time now.   It was my
grandfather's,  so I will never sell it outside the
family,  (if you remember my uncle was going to buy it
for $1500,  the money still hasn't come)  but it's
just a tricycle A,  so I really hate to dump large
quantities of money into it either...

    Well,  When I went to start it a few weeks ago to
put it away for the winter,  Of course,  it had to
have a few problems....  I wound up pulling the carb
off,  and today I set out to clean it out.   Now this
carb had been bead blasted about 5 years ago,  with
all the passage ways cleaned out,  and everything
perfect.  Upon dis-assembly,  it was pretty much a
ball of rust inside.  My Question,  have any of you
used something like a tank sealer, or clear finish to
seal the inside of the throttle body and bowl to
prevent rusting after beadblasting?  Or am I doomed to
take the darned thing apart every few years and clean
it up?  The tractor stands idle for long periods of
time,   and with our lovely dry western washington
climate,  well moisture can't help but condense.

   And of course,  as I was taking it apart today,  I
had in the past tapped out the brass tube that goes up
through the bowl to 1/4-20 so I could use a bolt to
remove it.  Well,  I didn't have a bolt handy,  so I
thought I would use the tap to pull it out..  You
guessed it,  I broke the darned tap off in the brass
tube..  I hope I can find a tap extractor long enought
to get the piece out...

                   Chris