[AT] Concrete slab

Billy Hood aggie1967 at msn.com
Tue Nov 23 17:52:02 PST 2004

Ricky, you can pour lots of concrete with a tractor mounted mixer, as I did it a lot in my younger years.  My first hog buildings--farrowing house and nursery were poured with one.  We used expansion joints and only poured what we could mix and in short order to reduce cold joints.  I think that today you will not come out very far ahead on costs.  Trucking on sand and gravel is our big expense and you need at least 5 sack/cy of cement.  Your labor is nothing according to the old story that "Time don't mean nothing to a hog"

When I lived in W Texas we poured lots of concrete because I could get cement in 55 gal barrels for free and had my own dump trucks to haul materials from the pit.  I had friends who would bring me barrels of cement from the Lone Star Plant at Maryneal that was auger tailings or floor spill.  It was not all the same spec's as sack portland cement, but you could use it.

Like Wayne, I have all the tools including power trowels.  If you would barbeque a goat, I would drive out and supervise Wayne, supervising you.  I used to finish lots of cement, but now I just form it up and call a Mexican crew to drag the mud and finish it.  Sure easier on my old body.
Bear
BTW we used to use the tractor mixer a lot to ferry cement from the truck to the pour when it was too wet or to tight a location to get the truck in.  Just like a georgia buggy, but lots better than Mexican dumptruck (wheelbarrow)