[AT] tri-axle trailer question ...good info

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 19 10:55:10 PST 2004

>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:33:08 -0500
>From: Cecil E Monson <cmonson at hvc.rr.com>
>Subject: Re: [AT] tri-axle trailer question
>To: Antique tractor email discussion group
>
> > Cecil the other factor is the axle rating on the rear of your dump
>truck. You should be able to find that out with the build code you
>mentioned.  The DMV folks will get a little testy with you if you are
>hauling more weight on the rear of the truck (load weight + tongue weight)
>than the axle is rated for.

There has been some great ideas and info traded on the hauling subject in
the last couple of days.  IMHO hauling very much "on topic".  There has been
something that I thought was left out.  When talking about tounge weight we
discussed the rear axle capacity.  There is an issue most of us will have
long before the rear axle capacity beomces a problem.  Be aware the when you
push down on the back of a truck you reduce the load on the steering axle.
I found this out when I hauled the Huber home last fall.  The machine proved
to be heavier than I had estimated.  I wanted to let the truck carry part of
the load.  I have an '82 chevy 1ton w/duals.  I moved the Huber forwrd on
the trailer and noted that I wasn't even close to the overloads on the rear
of the truck.  I failed to notice that I was also lifting the front end.
This arrangement made for a dicey trip home with my new treasure.  It was a
VERY long 3 hour trip.  While I had no problems related to the load it
certainly wasn't comfortable.  I would have been helped by a hitch closer to
the axle, longer wheelbase truck, gooseneck trailer.  It's not only if the
equipment is rated for the load but how you rig it.  Don't let the tail wag
the dog!