[AT] greasy hands

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 15:30:16 PST 2004

	I had a nice afternoon. It got just warm enough here that I
decided to replace the leaking fuel line on my JD 2010 diesel crawler.
The fuel line, made of copper, turned a corner around the front of
the engine block and was positioned so it rubbed on a high pressure
steel injector line to the #1 cylinder until is sprang a leak.

	I had called the local JD dealer to get a replacement line
and was told that although it was no longer made, a JD dealer in OK
had one. I ordered from them. The total came to a whopping $10.06
including UPS shipping.

	I called this post "greasy hands" because IMHO there is nothing
quite as dirty to work on as a crawler. I don't know if my Carhartt
jacket will ever be clean enough to wear to town again. ;-)

	Anyhow, it was the right part and was preformed and came with
one fitting that was on the injector pump end. I had to remove the
generator and one clip and then after taping the ends of the new fuel
line, I worked it into place and only had to bend it a little bit to
get it to go in. It went betweeen the fan and water pump assembly and
around the front of the engine, then back along the right side above
and behind the generator and behind the injector pump. Anyhow it is
in and working. I started the crawler and let it run for about 15
minutes until thoroughly warmed up. It missed and smoked for about
10 minutes until what I figure was air in the lines had worked it's
way thru the system and then it settled down and ran just fine.

	I suppose the proper way to do this would have been to bleed
each injector but to be honest with you, I could not remember if you
are supposed to bleed the lines by turning the engine with the starter
or do it while it is running so I just let it run and kept my fingers
crossed that it would settle down. Just got lucky I guess.

	Anyhow, it was a nice sunny November day with the temperature
around 60 degrees. A very nice day all around.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson