[AT] tri-axle trailer question

K7jdj at aol.com K7jdj at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 00:13:47 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/16/2004 8:32:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
CBear81438 at aol.com writes:
If you are talking about GVW, Gross Vehicle  weight, your truck is probably
about 22000 lbs...  However, when  you tow a trailer, you should use the
GCW,
Gross Combination Weight  rating which should be somewhere around 36000  for
that truck.  I  have  a 1600 Loadstar that we load with everything  under the
sun
and also pull large combines with and it never has been  loaded.

Cecil,
My 1950 GMC 750 is rated both GVW and GCVW, the 1963  International 1600 only
has the
plate stamped for GVW. There is a place to  stamp the GCVW but it is blank. I
just went and looked at it again and it  actually says 20,000 GVW.  I always
assumed that meant it had the same  GCVW.  I have a 1600 parts truck that says
22,000 GVW.  I'll check  tomorrow and see if they stamped it for GCVW.  The
GMC is rated "single" at  30,000 and "combination" at 65,000. Man it will
barley get up the hill  when I'm at 30,000 can't imagine 65,000.  Its underpowered
with a 4-71 but  does have a 5 speed main, 3 speed aux., and 2 speed rear
axle. I have taken it  up some very steep hills (private roads) but it has a top
speed of about
2  MPH in "low hole."

Its interesting that the International is OK (read  that marginal) with my
580C and with a 580B that I have hauled but the 580K is  about 2,000 more and it
seems to really tax the truck.  It also is  underpowered with a 304 engine, 4
speed main and 2 speed rear axle.

Lots  of hills here. Most range from 8 to 12 percent.  Both trucks struggle
up  and down.
I have plans to make a ramp truck out of an International 2050A 3  axle dump
powered with a DT466.  It has a roadranger but I can't remember  how many
ranges (12 I think).  Rear axles are single speed.  This will  replace the GMC for
hauling my JD 450C and maybe even the 580K.

I think  the main point in all this, is usage.  I have a "hobby" business so
I'm  only on the
road a few days a week and some weeks not at all.  If I were out there  every
day you'd
probably see me on the 6 PM news.  I plan my "hauls" as much as  possible to
avoid
peak traffic and do a lot of weekend hauls. On occasion when I  miss-time a
trip I wish I
had a bullet Prof vest. Most of our drivers own the roads and  don't like to
share.

Gary
Renton, WA.