[AT] Allis-Chalmers CA Hydraulic Cylinders

Matthew matthewx at dogod.com
Mon Nov 8 11:55:44 PST 2004

I hooked up the cultivator to my CA this weekend, I had the draw bar on it
for a long time now.  In fact ti took me a while to find the cultivator in
the overgroth.  I remebered about where I put it..

Anyway, I got all the pins in place and engaged the pump, and pulled the
lever and the hydraulics came right to life.  Both the the cylinders weep
a little but they have done that for years.  All seemed good until I went
to lower the cultivator into working position; nothing happened.

After shutting it off and taking a closer look at it, it seemed like the
cylinders overextended a little bit and locked in the piece they pivot
against.  I took the bolts holding the cylinder rods off of the piece
they push against, which was all very tightly jammed together, and as
soon as I had one rod disconnected I could get the thing to come back
down.  What was odd was that cylinders rod fell right out of the cylinder
when I put it down.  There is a ring around the end of it that looks like
it should have some sort of a keeper on it that is missing.  I did not
see it in the cylinder though.  The other side the rod stops before it
falls out.

Are these cylinders repairable (ie new keepers and packings) or should I
start looking around for a new set?  If they are repairable who would have
parts?  How do they come apart?  The front (rod end) looks to be perm.
attached.

Any advice is appriciated!

--Matthew