[AT] OT - another excavator

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 03:37:22 PST 2004

	Carl and others who commented before on my Komatsu excavator,
I now have another Komatsu up on the new home site. This one is a PC-120
with both a thumb on the bucket and a dozer blade.

	I've been really busy the past week with this thing and am
having a ball with it. I've been picking up those big stumps and building
a stump fence along one of the property lines. I generally pick them up
and set them in the back of my dump truck and use the truck to get them
back to the property line. It goes easier and quicker that way as the
excavator is slow when it comes to moving long distances. I finished
using the dump truck yesterday and moved all those damn big stumps
without once dropping a stump on the wrong place on the dump truck and
denting or damaging it.

	I dug two 6 foot deep holes for the percolation test for leach
lines for the septic system yesterday and then dug a 10' X 10' X 50' or so
long hole and happily buried rocks. I filled that first pit 3/4 full in
about an hour and a half and will have to do another one this morning.
I had a pleasant surprise yesterday when I found out the rocks are only
on the very top 12" or so of the ground. All the rest of the way down
is nice sharp clean gravel. I don't know what is below that as I didn't
go any deeper.

	Until I tried the dozer blade on the excavator, I thought I was
going to have to pay someone to haul my JD 2010 dozer up here so I could
grade the site but once I tried it, I made out pretty good. It's a rough
grade but will be just fine until I get the house in there and am ready
for the final grading and seeding.

	Now that I know I can bury these rocks and can get some decent
flat and level ground with a nice gravel base, I can see that I will
have plenty of room for my tractors and equipment in the small "field"
behind the building site and feel a lot better about it.

Cecil

what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson