[AT] ATIS

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Thu Nov 4 23:42:50 PST 2004

Since stumbling across ATIS a half dozen or so years ago I've always enjoyed
reading Farmer's posts.  I realized very quickly that he is an extremely
knowledgeable guy who always gives well thought out and clearly expressed
anyway.  I view Farmer as a very principled and disciplined man who I would
be proud to meet.

I've just taken a look back over some of the posts I have made to the list
and I realize I can't say the same for myself.  I've made a lot of OT posts
and most of my "on-topic posts" were weak and not really worth the lists
bandwidth.  Upon reflection I believe I had come to view ATIS as sort of an
"agricultural social club" much like many of the Saturday nights back when I
was a kid and the farmers all went in to town.  While the women folk would
go in the stores and do the shopping the men would sit or stand out in front
and talk about everything from farming to the news that someone had heard
from the Korean front.  Listening to these farmers I quickly learned that
they had differences in their politics, religion, choice of women and color
of tractors but that they all loved farming and America.  I learned, too,
that some of these farmers liked to argue and that after a good exchange
they would often nod and as they walked off in different directions to join
another group say something to the effect "see ya next week."

After reading Spencer's post, however, I realize that this is not what he
had in mind for this list but rather a place where folks come together to
talk seriously about old tractors and related stuff.  This is Spencer's list
and I respect his right to make the rules for its' usage.   In my opinion
this list needs Farmer and guys like him.
I feel the need to take a "sabbatical."  I sincerely hope that I will see
those typical "top notch Farmer posts" when I return.
Dudley -
Snohomish, Washington