[AT] Three point hitches and Dean's commentary

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri May 21 16:07:32 PDT 2004

Michael:

Yep, an electric start conversion gets a little pricey. 12 or 24 volt
starter, starter mounting bracket, maybe a new ring gear on the flywheel,
wiring, Batteries, etc, etc.

If the JD 70 has hydraulic capability it is Pwer-trol.  I'd have to look it
up but I think it was an option but most have it. This provides rock shaft
lift and hydraulic capability for remote cylinders, etc.

If the hitch is JD then it almost has to be an 800 series hitch. but there
are several versions of the 800 series hitches so pictures of it would be
necessary to determine which one it is and whether it is complete. Most have
parts missing or parts that are damaged or broken.

Over time many of the dual upper links that are standard on the 800 series
hitches have been removed and an aftermarket top link bracket installed in
their place. Then most if not all three point implements will be compatible
using an aftermarket top link. If the standard 800 series hitch upper links
and evener bar are still being used there are a couple of ways to easily
modify that to make it conventional three point implement compatible. I
think it would be better to wait on explaining how to do that until you have
a good visual image of what is currently installed.

The 800 series hitches are category II hitches so they are directly
compatible with Category II implements. However, the 70 is a bit unique in
that the mounting dimensions are higher off the ground so you will find that
especially on category I implements the draft arms won't drop low enough to
the ground. This is solved by adding Lift Link Extensions to lower the draft
arms 6 to 10". Obviously bushings will be needed to increase the Category I
implement pins to category II size. These are commonly available in farm
stores.

I would encourage you to try to find category II implements as they are the
ones most appropriate for a tractor of the 70's size. A category I implement
would probably not hold up too well to the 70's HP.

Looking forward to some pictures of the tractor and the hitch.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

What people can dream, people can do! George W. Bush

www.deerelegacy.com