[AT] The Portland Swap Meet

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Sun May 16 10:15:51 PDT 2004

    Hi Cecil;
    I would have answered sooner, but I have been in the shop working on
my best buy at Portland. A guy came to me about a Case 644 compact
tractor and loader he had on his truck in the spectator parking. The
hydrostatic drive was very weak and would barely make it to the
campsite, after closing a deal on it for $775.00. Worked on it a little
Friday morning and decided the problem was only worn linkage that didn't
allow the hydraulic valves to operate properly. I made a little
adjustment on it and got enough forward drive to drive it around some
and load itself on the trailer. Have been welding some of the worn
linkage and about to get it back together again.
    Another good buy was a Mac 110 chain saw for $1.00. It looks good
and cranks over with good compression. Haven't put gas in it to get it
running yet, but I think it will run.
    Other items I bought were a complete seat base assembly for the Case
700 and a distributor for the dozer at $10.00 each and a new muffler for
the IH 660 for $15.00. Also bought a vise for my welding table for
$40.00
    I sold my 1931 Case C" for $1150.00 and all my excess dozer parts
for $175.00. Also sold a few excess parts I had laying around. It was a
good show for me, a lot of fun and got to meet some of the guys on the
Case discussion board too. Hard to believe there was not even a spark
from the Dotson Inferno all week.
    I hadn't spent enough at Portland, so I stopped on the way home to
look at a trailer to haul garden tractors and bought it for $300.00.
    Been a great week and now have to get back to work and get some
soybeans planted as soon as the ground dries.

                        Gene