[AT] Unknown Implement

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Mar 25 21:14:17 PST 2004

I have a photograph of my Dad rolling a hoop when he was six or seven
years old (about 1910).  He tried to get me and my brothers interested
in the game but we apparently didn't have the talent or desire or
something.  Dad said he always used a barrel hoop.  The fact that it was
conical made it more difficult.  My Dad also taught himself to walk a
tight rope.  He told me he could do it, and I always kind of felt in the
back of my head that it was an exaggerated story.  But last year, my
cousin and I came across a photo of him walking on a hay rope strung
between two trees in the front yard of the home place out in Colorado.
Dad also tried his best to teach me how to throw a top -- one of those
designed like a stocky plumb bob.  Whenever I tried it, the top simply
became a missile sailing through the air and it didn't develop enough
spin to ever stand up.

Larry