[AT] Unknown Implement

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Thu Mar 25 18:49:43 PST 2004

Ralph and Rick,

I'd forgotten about the family rolling hoop... it must have been around 1950
or so when I last saw it.  It was at Uncle Jim's, but I think it was from
the home place where Pop and his six brothers were raised, or maybe even
their Grandpa's place.  Pop and all his brothers could hold the handle and
run easily with it but none of us kids could control it, so the brothers
must have all had a lot of practice when they were younger.  At that time
their ages were from about 35 to 55.

It must have been blacksmith made, from rod about 1/2 ".  It was about 3'
diameter with a short handle with a closed eye fastened permanently, but
very loosely.  I remember similar ones from old pictures being rolled with a
loose stick.

I also remember during the thirties, the common sight of people rolling
tires down the street to the gas station to get them fixed.  They would only
occasionally give them a nudge.  It was a talent learned of necessity.

George Willer