[AT] Trailer Brakes

Allen V. Pruehs avpruehs at cac.net
Sun Mar 28 15:26:59 PST 2004

I have a trailer that I will be rebuilding this spring. It ia a tandem
dually gooseneck trailer presently equipped with non-functional vacumn over
hydraulic brake system. I have been entertaining the idea of changing it
over to electric brakes, which I can do for the cost of the vacumn
controller and whatever is needed to repair the system on the trailer.
While doing some research on the net, I came up with an option I had not
considered. Electric/hydraulic brakes. In theory, they interface with the
electric brake controller and drive the hydraulic brake system. It isn't
cheap, but I am curious how well the system functions. Does any one on the
list have any experience with this type of brakes and how well do they
work? Are they more dependable than electrics? How well do they stop? I
intendd on using this to haul a couple of tractors to plow days, shows and
pulls this summer. I would appreciate any feedback that you can offer.

Thank you,
Allen Pruehs
SE Michigan
Oliver, Hart Parr, Cletrac, Orphans & Oddballs