[AT] My "new" Allis Chalmers D-12 Series III

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Mon Mar 22 15:31:39 PST 2004

	I went and picked up my AC D-12 Series III tractor today and
it looks as good a week after I bought it as it did the first time I
saw it. ;-)

	It is a late 1966 model and was one of the last ones made in
the year. Just 109 from the last one made in 1966. It has live PTO and
hydraulics as Charlie Hill surmised. I was surprised when I got it home
and in the shop and played with the lights to find the PO had installed
a 2nd original rear light with the dual red/white bulbs. So I got two
of them with this tractor. He also gave me a heavy box with everything
in it from spare spark plugs and both kinds of filters to a spare
generator. It came with the original owners manual for the D-12 Series III
tractor as well as an I&T manual for the Series III. As it has the "range"
transmission giving it 8 speeds forward and 2 reverse, the transmission is
more complicated than my other D-12. The seller also gave me a Ford type
drawbar to insert in the two 3 point hitch arms so I can have a height
adjustable drawbar if I want. It has the detachable drawbar also. The
only things missing were the right side panel (a small one over the
steering box and voltage regulator) and the emblem for the center of the
steering wheel. I happened to pick up several of those square medallions
at a swap meet several years ago so I have one to put in there. This has
to be about the first time I ever bought a tractor where everything works.
Bob Brooks rode along and helped with the loading and said he thinks the
seller even changed the oil before we got there. The filters were all
brand new. One thing I like about this tractor is the 12 volt electrical
system. All things considered, I am like a kid with a new toy. I took it
for a ride down around the garden even though the temperature was below
freezing and the north wind was fairly brisk. Sorta like having a new
motorcycle and not being able to wait for warm weather to take a ride.

	I also had a chance to use my GMC dump truck with the GM diesel
engine to do a little tractor hauling. The hill coming up out of PA on
I-84 is about a 3 mile pull up a grade that has to be maximum for an
Interstate and between 8 and 10 degrees. The truck pulled up like it was
not there so I have that to be happy about also. Thanks for the help, Bob,
it was nice to have you there.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson