Airplanes OT was Re: [AT] an Iowa snowstorm

Robert Brooks rbrooks at hvc.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 18:31:51 PST 2004

George;

I'd like to see that, or better yet ride along....

One of the local airports is a small county owned strip and they have a
couple of businesses there that give lessons and rent planes.  At one of
these most  of the lesson planes are Cessna 172's  and I think a 150. I was
talking to the head instructor and asked him about the Cub's that they did
use for lesson planes .  It turns out that they still have a couple of J3
Cubs in a hanger and are planning to put one back into lesson / rental
service.  Seems they get quite a few requests for lessons in an old style
tail dragger.

The airport also has 4 old WW2 vintage TC3 trainers on site, but these are
not part of the lesson business, though the owner of that business does own
one of the old trainers.

This is the same place that has the Stinson rotting away out on one of the
tie down area's.

If I ever get my pilots license, and at this age I doubt it will ever
happen, I think I would go for an older tail dragger or a biplane.

But I have enough trouble getting old tractors and cars running,

Bob