[AT] OT-seeking info/Thanks

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Mar 9 06:02:50 PST 2004

Charlie,

Well I'm lucky, I have a few of the old fittings here just in case, but
for the most part black iron hose fittings seem to work good, I don't
use gal. simply because there is a chance of the plating coming off due
to the heat and additives in the coolant, then it seems to either block
a coolant passage (usually to the heater in the middle of winter) or it
finds the water pump seal a taste treat. Brass would work OK as well,
nothing there to come off. The older fittings are aluminum but it seems
to be MUCH better stuff than the new ones I have only seen one fail and
it was due to total neglect on the part of the owner, car had close to
300K on it and had never seen new coolant, he would drain it and replace
it if he opened the system. He just said "it's still green so it's still
good"........ The new QDs seem to be cheap pot metal crap. I know of one
guy who had one that leaked, he decided to use some epoxy inside the
fitting to seal it, I asked him how he planned to get it apart if the
pump failed, his answer was "a saw"....

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY