[AT] OT - Lousy weekend start

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Mon Mar 8 06:09:29 PST 2004

It's been a long, busy weekend. I came home fairly late Thursday evening,
about 6:30 PM, to find our back door kicked in. Called the Sherrif's Dept.
and the Deputy came out. The Deputy checked several places for
fingerprints and found none, suggesting that the bastard(s) were wearing
surgical gloves.
I took Friday off to get the door frame repaired. Accomplished that, but
it took most of the day since the wife stayed home too and we had to do
some other chores while in Waco. I replaced the pine frame with red oak
and glued the replacement parts directly to the wall framing studs. Used
3" stainless screws to hold the striker plates and the new plates are
about 3 times as thick as the originals. The original striker plate for
the deadbolt had the long screws, but the plate itself failed. The new
plate shouldn't do that. The door is already a steel over wood unit, so I
was good there. The upshot of all this was that Pat didn't wear the tennis
bracelet that dday and it was taken, along with one of her watches and
about $15 worth of the state quarters that were stacked on top of my
dresser. None of my guns were taken, even two rifles that weren't in the
safe. None of the electronics were even touched, except for a small TV/VCR
combo that is in the granddaughter's room. That was left lying on the
floor. The Deputy and I both surmise that the perp was scared off by
something.
The rest of the weekend was uneventful, just a lot of yard work and some
maintenance on Pat's car. Insurance co. folks have been very supportive.
Thank goodness no real damage was done and now the rest of the house has
been checked for potential weak spots that would allow this sort of thing
have been corrected. The amazing thing is that we didn't lose more than we
did. Sometimes we just get lucky, I guess.

Phil