[AT] Grain Binders and nudity....

Tim Bivens bivenshill at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 15:26:12 PST 2004

I am going to have to agree with most of what Cecil
and Walt have said on this subject but for a somewhat
different reason than has been mentioned. With all due
respect to Guy and others that have mentioned all the
hard work that so many have put into saving these
photos and advertising items. That is precisely the
reason that I hope there are as many copies made of
them as possible. That way there is a better chance
that future generations can have copies of them and
more people can enjoy them. What we leave to future
generations is much more important than copyright
laws. I don't really care how they take the trip
through time or if they are pirated or somebody makes
money off them or whatever. We will all be dead a
hundred years from now and this argument will be long
forgotten but I hope there are some copies of these
around for our great grandkids to enjoy. If I put in a
lot of hard work to preserve an old photograph I would
be glad for anyone that wanted a copy to have it. I
would be much more concerned that it is preserved for
posterity than worrying about whether me or anyone
else makes money off it. The idea of "this is my copy
and it's the only copy you can't have a copy of it" is
a selfish attitude whether it is an individual,
museum, or whoever. I know someone is going to come
back with the argument that the Wisconsin museum is
going to always have a copy but they may not always be
available to to the public. The originals could get
destroyed by fire. They could lose funding for their
website. Etc. There a lots of ways these could become
unavailable to the general public. Why would anyone be
worried about a copyright on something as old as the
1895 Buckeye ad that brought this whole topic up? I
say let anyone that wants to copy let them have a copy
of it. I have a rather nice copy of it copied on
quality photo paper and hanging on my wall right now
(with the garbage cleaned up off the right side).
Probably going to frame it and my kids can have it
when I die. So sue me.

Tim Bivens
Glen Rose, Tex.