[AT] Re: OT-- Roadranger transmission Followup

CBear81438 at aol.com CBear81438 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 20:55:06 PST 2004

I am sure that some of you wondered what was wrong with the RT613
transmission I had in the Fire Truck that I drove from NJ to OK  in January.    The first
3 gears would not engage, in fact the first 5 would not engage.

Last weekend we had some great weather, and after sawing some 8 inch cedar
timbers into a ramp so that I could get under the truck, (I am a man of
considerable Girth) I removed the hoses that controlled the engagement ofthe lower
range, and then removed the shifter piston housing.  I could find nothing wrong
with it, but is was somewhat turned in the trans housing.  I applied a little
silicone to the broken gasket and reinstalled it and paid some attention to
alignment of the little air passage holes..   IT WORKED!!!!!!  Shifted it about
20 times back and forth while running from the barn to the road...  CAn't say
what happened, but it works now......

Thanks to Mister K for sending a service manual and a troubleshooting manual
to me.....

This truck is the most manueverable and easiest driving truck on the place.
It is going to be around here a while.  I have a 60K Tulsa Winch to install
next....  As soon as I get rid of the fire truck bed...

Thanks to all for the suggestions and help.

Cecil in OKla