[Steam-engine] pressure calculations

Ken Majeski fuller_johnson1 at msn.com
Wed Jun 30 15:12:02 PDT 2004

Well to start with the joint efficiency of 82 % is for a double riveted Butt
Strap. The efficiency is about 74 % for a double riveted lap seam. Some
states ( Minnesota for example ) has a formula based on rivet size and
spacing for lap seam boilers.  Many old boilers were designed for a safety
factor of about 5. I don't know where you get that 8 from. Here we have to
have a safety factor of 5 and if we can Prove we have 55,000 tensil strength
we can go with a SF of 4. According to NBIC apendix C the states can set
their own safety factor as long as it is not less than 4.

If you think thats Bad figure a boiler with stayed surfaces that has some
wasting or is constructed of thinner sheets as many early ones were. :(

Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine, Minneapolis Steam Engine,
Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R. Website, Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/