[AT] Small Zenith carb (CA) question please

Grant Weir grantweird at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 13:37:42 PDT 2004

Hi John,

   I've found that the gasket surfaces on those old Zeniths tend to warp,
especially on the top section.  This warpage will not allow the gasket to
seat properly and gas will suck into the venturi area from the float bowl
when the engine is running.  File the gasket surfaces down flat or sand them
flat with some emery glued down to a table.  The gasket is rather thin in
the area around the venturi and is subject to leakage.  Also, sometimes the
venturi will hold up the top of the carb lid section causing the gasket to
not seal.  Bottom line is that sometimes Zeniths are hard to seal around the
venturi, and that you have to watch this area or gas will suck in.  Hope
this helps!

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada