[Steam-engine] traction engine transport

Ben Carpenter benlist at benc.com
Sun Jun 27 20:49:48 PDT 2004

James

This sounds like Ed Sheets engine.

Ok for one way truck rental I doubt that you will be able to find one for
this type of haul.  Several years ago I inquired about a one way rental from
UHaul and Ryder for a large load.  The only thing we could get was the
normal size trucks that the public uses to move with.  Also be aware that if
you try to rent one of these to pull a trailer with that they do not have
very big motors and you will be crying for more power all the time.

I have run semi from SE Michigan to the Pavilion/Wyoming Ny area several
times (this appears to be 90 or so miles west of you).  It is a 8 1/2 hour
ride running the speed limit or a little above to Pavillion/Wyoming.
Fremont is about 1 1/2 hours closer to you.

Your indication that the Dodge truck and trailer are a little rough to trust
would put me to thinking about some other arangments.  A break down a long
way from home can be very costly and time consuming.

You might look into renting a truck that would handle the load locally and
running out empty as opposed to trying the Dodge truck and trailer.  You
also might locate a local  or semi local trucker looking for a back haul
after delivering a load this way.  I think that that engine would go in a
dropdeck movingvan trailer with out removing the smoke stack or canapoy.  I
know that the width is fine for going in a van trailer.

I am not sure if this helps much but gives you something to think about.

Ben Carpenter
<benc at dmci.net> <www.benc.com>