[AT] Re:Massy-Harris 44

LeRoy Price III leroy_price3 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 25 18:08:50 PDT 2004

Don,

I didn't realize the Super Hurricane in the Willys was a Continental engine
but I found the
following:

The 226 engine started out as the Continental first used in passenger cars
in the late 1920s. The engine was used in the Graham-Paige automobile until
about WW-II. Joseph Fraser, the president of Graham-paige made a deal with
Henry Kaiser, forming the Kaiser-Fraser company after the war and the engine
went into Kaiser automobiles as well as the Aero Willys of 1954-55.
Additionally, the engine found its way into Checker Cabs and various
industrial applications into the 1970s. When the Kaiser-owned Willys Motors
needed a 6-cylinder engine for its trucks and wagons, the 226 was an
"off-the-shelf" option. (This is a simplified account. For a more detailed
history, see Dick Datsun's, "The Total Performance Jeep

Appears it was used in some other things....

LeRoy