[AT] System Outage - Update

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Wed Jun 23 15:16:10 PDT 2004

The problems with DNS ever since Saturday when I changed the DNS
information have stemmed from secondary or root servers.  First the
transitional secondary server was never set up at Sprint as promised.  Then
the secondary DNS service at my ISP seemed to have one small problem after
another and 3 days later it still wasn't answering correctly.   To boot, a
caching problem of some type showed up Monday night on about 5 of the root
servers that brought my old primary name server back in to the mix, which
then reported wrong answers to everyone.

To make a long story short:  I have fired my secondary DNS service with my
ISP and have hired another company to act as my secondaries.   Everything
is now right, perfect, and zones have already transferred.  NS records have
been updated at my registrar to reflect my new secondaries and now we are
just waiting for the information to propagate.   Everything will be back to
normal in 12 -24 hours.  In fact, even though the information was keyed
into the registrar an hour ago, some root servers are already reporting the
correct secondaries so I am guessing by morning most everyone will have no
troubles.

Many, many thanks again for your patience and let me know if you have any
questions,

Spencer