[AT] Batteries

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Jun 22 17:16:07 PDT 2004

	I need to put one of those desulfating (sp?) chargers on my
fall wish list. Thanks for mentioning it Don G.
	I have always said that at least a fourth of the batteries
that are replaced are because of bad connections. People
hear that slow RRRRrrrrRRRRRrrrr....... and think their
battery is shot. They go to Wally World and get a new one
and trade in the old one. Sure enough it fires right up so
they tell them selves the old battery was actually done for.
It never occurs to many of them that the terminals were not
making good connections and that the old battery may
actually be down because even when a surge load like a
starter might feed through that the charge from the
alternator may not have been getting through for days and
the connection can fail rapidly when it gets started
corroding. Back when I was selling batteries I never bought
new batteries for my use. Enough good batteries were brought
in for trade-in that I stayed well supplied. Sometimes they
didn't even need charging, sometimes a charge was needed but
they held it fine after I charged them. At about that time
we were also collecting (buying) batteries for recycling.
Many of those were still quite good as well. I have always
been a little surprised by how many people do not have a
battery charger, I consider it a standard part of owning a
motor vehicle. Those of us that tinker with old tractors and
stuff are of course much more likely to think in terms of
connections and such than the guys or gals that never lift a
hood. Most of them need to have very good jobs to either
keep new cars or pay for someone else to make all the little
repairs on an older one. The days of cheap shop labor are
pretty much gone, too much overhead.
	Most of the time when someone walks into a service center
of any kind and says "I think I need a new battery" they get
a new battery. Better shops do check to see that the system
is charging but many just pull the old battery and install
the new one without testing anything. I have a friend that
has worked in a Sears auto center forever and most of the
employees use old batteries from customers cars. They just
turn in an old dud from home to replace the customers
trade-in in the stack of old batteries waiting for recycling.

	My electrical mantra...
	Check the grounds, check the grounds, check the grounds...
   :-)  There are always 2 conductors. + and -   one is a
wire, the other is the vehicle. Both are of equal
importance...  :-)
--

"farmer"

My latest list "No Nonsense Horse" (includes donkeys & mules).