[Farmall] 6V chargers - repost

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Tue Jun 22 03:46:55 PDT 2004

I have a 6/12 Volt Montgomery Wards unit that I've had for over 30 years.
Except for replacing the power cord (a wire broke in the plug), it's worked
fine.

Most chargers consist of a large transformer and a regulator circuit. If
you open the unit up you should be able to take a meter and check for
voltages and resistances to find what part is not functioning. Check for
resistance first, starting with the plug. Then check for voltages.  I'm
assuming that the units you buy from Walmart are about the size of a
toaster with a current meter on the front and vents on the back, and not
one of those small black plastic boxes that are essentially sealed.

Carl Szabelski

                    Dave Merchant
                    <nesys_com at ameritech.net>             To:     <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>, <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
                    Sent by:                              cc:
                    farmall-bounces at lists.antique-t       Subject:     [Farmall] 6V chargers - repost
                    ractor.com

                    06/21/2004 12:01 PM
                    Please respond to Farmall/IHC
                    mailing list

What do you guys use for 6V chargers?

Currently, I buy Walmart 6/12 V chargers in quantity,
and use them until the smoke leaks out and they don't work any more.

I'm going out today to buy another one (if they still stock them).

Does any company currently make a good one?

Does anyone know what fizzes on the Walmart ones, can it be replaced or
upgraded?

Dave Merchant
kosh at nesys.com
nesys_com at ameritech.net