[AT] Re: Lawn tractor

ROBBRUT at aol.com ROBBRUT at aol.com
Sat Jun 12 07:38:43 PDT 2004

Farmer-
I agree w/your comments on MTD's improvement, but I have to ask which  B&S
engine is in the one you have
Personal experinece and lots of comfirmation from others makes me very  leery
of the B&S opposed-twin flatheads.
It seems that they will run forever if kept level, but that they want to
throw rods if run very long on a slope.
A very maintenance-meticulous friend went through 2 engines (on  warranty) in
two years on his Ford lawn tractor, and finally when the third one  was
needed (out-of-warranty), the mechanic asked him what his lot was  like.
When he heard of the sloped lawn, he said "You need a B&S Vanguard or a
Koehler with a pressure lube system".
Would have been nice to know that sooner.
His like-new appearing Ford is still in his garage to remind him not  to ever
buy a Ford again.
He's run the MTD he got to replace it for 5 years now with no  problem.
It has a Briggs engine with pressure lube and spin-on filter.
Just wanted to give a heads-up about the problem, if you didn't already  know.
-Bruce Thompson-