[AT] OT - Solutions for Varmint Problems

Mark Greer greerfam at raex.com
Fri Jun 11 21:27:47 PDT 2004

A .22 rifle with CCI CB-Longs works best for me for both. Muskrats are
generally active just after sunrise and just before sunset and are easy to
hit. My neighbor traps my pond for muskrats each fall (caught over 2 dozen
last fall) but there are always more come springtime. I am up to 9 on 'rats
and 5 on groundhogs this year on my 4-1/2 acres and 1 acre pond. You can
also catch groundhogs easily in leghold traps-just settle them in the loose
dirt of a frequently used hole and you'll catch one in a day or two. I have
best luck with size1-1/2 double coilspring traps and stake two in the mouth
of a hole. Use the same stake for both traps and the groundhog won't be able
to pull out of them. I wouldn't trap the muskrats this time of year as they
are a furbearer and subject to state game laws which you could run afoul of
by trapping out of season.
Mark