[AT] Reagan Remembered (by Patti Davis) Off topic but greatreading

Al Jones aljones at ncfreedom.net
Thu Jun 10 15:11:17 PDT 2004

Walt,

I have fiddled around with the parts books for my old tractors enough to
know that what you talk about isn't terribly easy.  However, I wish
teaching was that simple.  In teaching just knowing a subject matter
isn't enough.  You have to know how to TEACH it.  And do it in a way
that reaches every student, regardless of learning style, mental,
physical, social, emotional difficulty, etc.  And I tell you, from what
I have seen (I teach high school, Agriculture) Elementary teachers have
a MUCH harder job that high school teachers in some respects,
particularly due to the developmental differences  between the ages.  It
would terrify me to try to teach a class full of second graders!  As to
that third grade teacher, what certification(s) does she hold?  What
kind of degree does she have?  What sort of supplement does her school
system pay in addition to the standard salary?  How many years of
service does she have?  My point is, don't put down anybody in education
based upon what grade/level/subject they teach.  Every link in the chain
is important.

Make no mistake, I do not intend to belittle any other
job/career/profession.  And yes, believe it or not, teaching IS a
profession, and it doesn't end with the last bell for the students to go
home!!

I would just ask anyone that thinks teaching is "easy" or that teachers
don't have a "real job" to go spend a day or two in a school.  I think
you'll be surprised.  There are two statements I live by: First, if you
ate today, thank a farmer.  If you can read this, thank a teacher!

Al