[AT] Re: Cummins Industrial Tools?

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Thu Jun 10 02:31:17 PDT 2004

Bob Brooks wrote:
> Mike;
>
> I have one like that that I've used for quite a few years.  Mine has a
> mount that lets it attach to a 2" ball on your trailer hitch.  It works
> pretty well, except mine does not have power out, you have to disengage
> the clutch and pull the cable back out, or use that hand  crank.
>
> I think I paid about $60.00 for it a Wal Mart on Clearance, it was an
> open box item and missing a couple of things.
After I sent the attached message, I checked my paper mail, and there
was a flyer from Harbor Freight with the same winch advertised for
$39.95. That might be almost worth it, since I wouldn't have to pay for
S&H nor NJ 6% sales tax. The only problem would be that, by the time the
winch arrives from HB, the ground will have dried out and I can drive
the tractor from the marsh without any help. :-)

> This winter I bought a small 2,000 pull winch off Ebay that has power in
> and out and I like that one much better, but it has to be bolted down,
> it doesn't have the handy ball adapter.  It was going to be used in
> place of the hydraulics on Elmo to replace the non working hydraulics.
>
> The Wal Mart one winched a dead 67 Plymouth Fury convert on to the car
> trailer, with 2 wheels that refused to turn.  So they have quite a bit
> of power.  The only other problem is that the cable is fairly short, 25
> feet I think so you need to extend it and then pull 25 feet at a time.
All I need in this case is about 10 feet to get my on to more solid
ground. From what you wrote, it might be worth a try, given that the 560
isn't dead - I can still get the drive wheels turning (quite nicely,
thank you); they just don't do anything.

Thanks,

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

It is surprising what a man can do when he has to, and how little most men
will do when they don't have to. -Walter Linn