[AT] On losing farm land

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 04:44:31 PDT 2004

> It never fails to amaze me, the difference in rental rates for farmland
> between our countries. This spring a big farmer in this area rented some
> land for the unbelievable price of $35 per acre. Nobody knows how he expects
> to show a profit on the land at that price but I guess time will tell.
> More average rates are in the $20 to $25 per acre range.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

	Hi Ralph, I guess it makes quite a difference what a farmer is
going to raise on the land and what the yield is going to be. (Or, what
he hopes it will be)  Around here, a lot of the land is rocky and hard
to farm. You see pictures of eastern farms and all the nice quaint looking
stone walls that look so picturesque. You have to keep in mind that some
poor devil picked up all of those stones by hand and carried them to the
stone wall or skidded them in a stone boat and built those walls by hand
- one stone at a time. At first they thought there was good soil if only
they could get all the rocks off it and out of the way. Later they realized
that the rocks were under all and only a small amount of soil was on top
of them.

	Out where you are it is different because it takes a lot of land
to get enough of a wheat crop to make a living. In the Midwest where I
am from originally, my BIL gets yields of 200 bushel to the acre on his
field corn. South of here, I met a farmer who is making a helluva good
living by growing a few acres of garlic for the NYC market. He doesn't
even grow it for the garlic bulbs - just the tops. Some of the people
who rent the County land I wrote about earlier are just taking a crop of
hay off it - two cuttings if possible. Not good hay either. I buy 50 bales
every late fall to bank around the house for $1.50 to $2.00 a bale. Takes
a lot of cheap hay to make that pay when you figure in the labor, fuel
and equipment.

	My point on the earlier post was that even farmers have to swing
with the times with the market for land the way it is. If land is worth
$7 an acre to a farmer and worth $10 an acre to a sportsman, better that
the farmer rent it for $12 and sublet it to the sportsman. He would still
make out and would not lose the land. If he was lucky, he would be making
out all the way around.

	Don't feel bad if you don't have cicadas out there, Ralph. Those
grasshoppers are bad enough. ;-)

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson