[AT] On losing farm land

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Jun 7 18:49:51 PDT 2004

Cecil E Monson wrote:

>     FWIW, this is pretty cheap for rented land around here. The
> regular price has been up over $50 an acre for a long time.

	Wow... $50 an acre. Wish we could rent some here for that.
About anything tillable will go for $100 an acre here.
Really great stuff will go for for $200 an acre if it is in
at least 100 acre tracts. Of course this is the eastern corn
belt. The rolling forested land south of here does rent for
less. The old county farm (used to be "the poor farm") just
over a mile south of us rents out 178 acres by bid and it
usually goes for something like $170 an acre. Once it went
for $200 an acre but dropped a bit the next time. With corn
and soybean prices back out of the basement for a year or so
they will start bidding rents back up again. Some of them
just go nuts no matter what they do.
	With just 100 acres of mostly open land here we can't
really get in on the hunting rents. You can see across the
place from most of it. Most hunters want to feel like they
are in the wilds...   :-). We haven't allowed hunters in
many years and have always looked on the place as sort of a
wildlife refuge ever since my parents were in the old "game
preserve" program back in the early 1950's' with the DNR. We
do need to thin the white-tails though. That 6 acres of corn
they totally destroyed last year was expensive wildlife feeding.
--

"farmer"

My latest list "No Nonsense Horse" (includes donkeys & mules).