[AT] What is the Best way to Restore your new found treasure?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Jun 6 06:37:04 PDT 2004

Myron, I just finished a "from the frame up" restoration on a tractor
this winter that is about twice the size of your Wheel Horse.  I took it
apart once, rehabbed the sub-assemblies, painted them, and then painted
them again as I reassembled the whole tractor on a piecemeal basis.
There were a few -- very few -- items that I took off a second time in
the process, but fundamentally I figured that if I didn't take the time
to make the mechanical corrections and repairs the first time, it was
going to cost me more time later.

When I'm doing a project of this nature, in the back of my mind I keep
thinking, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  As a result, there were a
few assemblies in the drive train that I didn't tear down completely,
but I took everything apart far enough to do a thorough inspection.  I
took the T-92 transmission on this tractor apart far enough to check
third gear and the bottom of the shifter lever.  I know those are two
vulnerable spots in that assembly, but since those were both in "like
new" condition and the bearings were smooth and tight, I simply cut a
new top gasket and put it back together.  I did similarly with the
engine.  I pulled the pan, checked the interior for signs of wear
(looking in particular for deposits of fine metal and other tell-tale
signs of problems) cut new gaskets, and put it back together without
even taking the magneto off.  If that K-series engine on your Wheel
Horse has been treated right, you may be able to do similarly.  Four
years of use after a rebuild is nothing for that engine.  I took the
final drives apart and found that the bull gears were significantly
worn.  But replacement gears for this particular model are essentially
not available, so I simply reversed the gears and reassembled the drives
so that the gears are running on the other side of the teeth.

But, to each his own.  Not everyone has enough space in their "shop" to
have a tractor completely disassembled with pieces scattered everywhere.
I finally have the luxury of that kind of situation, so I take advantage
of it.

Larry