[Steam-engine] purtification

EJHottel at aol.com EJHottel at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 19:17:44 PDT 2004

30 years ago I put De-Rusto Hi Heat Black on my boiler and it did stood up to
the weather quite well. Of course it was discontinued, as were several
alternatives I tried over the years.
I am currently using a product by Rust-Oleum, called Industrial High Heat
Coating. We will see how it holds up. I begin to believe the old timers had some
sense when they said, "Never Paint Your Boiler". One approach was to wipe it
down with cylinder oil annually, and let it collect a protective coating of
dirt. Another is to wipe it down with graphite and oil. I know a man who does
that and it produces a pretty gray color. Lampblack and linseed oil has also been
mentioned. I expect there are other approaches also. It will be interesting
to hear what others on the list have to say on this subject.
As for non heated parts I use Rust-Oleum where they have the necessary
colors. I have never tried any of the expensive high performance paints.
Cleaning is a lot more work than painting!
Jack