[Farmall] Sector Gears

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Tue Jul 20 13:56:43 PDT 2004

Mark,

Unless you used some kind of special welding rod, the welds won't contain
enough carbon to respond to heat treatment.  One thing you could maybe do...
heat the sector gear with a torch to a bright red and hold it there for a
while with a smoky flame.  The hot steel will absorb some carbon.  That will
add enough carbon to the surface to harden when quenched for a crude form of
case hardening.  Do it after all your shaping is done, since the hardening
will be very shallow... depending on time.  Drawing the temper should not be
necessary, since the core will remain soft.

George Willer