[AT] desulphating battery chargers

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 16:24:58 PDT 2004

Been following the various battery discussions.  Interesting.  One thing I
would note is that battery electrolyte that has been in the battery for any
significant length of time may contain dissolved lead.  I know of one site
in California that reclaimed battery lead -- over the years they dumped the
battery acid in the back yard.  This resulted in substantial contamination
of the soil and groundwater.  Admittedly this would be a far cry from a
tractor battery or two.  However, even small volumes of used battery acid
may be considered a hazardous waste depending on your local
regulations.  Disposing in the sewer is generally a no-no also.  Please
check with your local hazmat folks to avoid possible costs of fines,
cleanup, etc.  Hazmat may have a local disposal place for the acid.

Bob Holtzer