[AT] desulphating battery chargers

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Jul 18 10:10:51 PDT 2004

Hey dipstick,
 from the web site you gave

Here are three methods to try to recover permanently sulfated batteries:

16.3.1. Light Sulfation

Check the electrolyte levels and apply a constant current at 2% of the
battery's RC or 1% of the AH capacity rating for 48 to 120 hours at 14.4
VDC or more, depending on the electrolyte temperature and capacity of
the battery. Cycle (discharge to 50% and recharge) the battery a couple
of times and test its capacity. You might have to increase the voltage
in order to break down the hard lead sulfate crystals. If the battery
gets above 125° F (51.7° C) then stop charging and allow the battery to
cool down before continuing.

16.3.2. Heavy Sulfation

Replace the old electrolyte with distilled, deionized or demineralized
water, let stand for one hour, apply a constant current at four amps at
13.8 VDC until there is no additional rise in specific gravity, remove
the electrolyte, wash the sediment out,

WHAT DOES THIS SAY

and recharge. If the specific gravity exceeds 1.300, then remove the new
electrolyte, wash the sediment out, and start over from the beginning
with distilled water. You might have to increase the voltage in order to
break down the hard lead sulfate crystals. If the battery gets above
125° F (51.7° C) then stop charging and allow the battery to cool down
before continuing. Cycle (discharge to 50% and recharge) the battery a
couple of times and test capacity. The sulfate crystals are more soluble
in water than in electrolyte. As these crystals are dissolved, the
sulfate is converted back into sulfuric acid and the specific gravity
rises. This procedure will only work with some batteries.

Want to stop digging now or should I also site some info from battery
manufacturers that says the same thing.....

Steve Williams