[AT] desulphating battery chargers

Clint D driggars at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 10:19:46 PDT 2004

well, here is my three cents worth on the subject

when I was a teenager way back when!!!  I worked at places that rebuilt
batteries, what they did was flush them out and put in fresh battery acid. 8
out of 10 worked and the places usually put a 6 mo gaurantee on them

My Grandfather did the same with all his batteries, flushed them and
refilled with fresh acid

he also would take the old style batteries that had the tar like substance
on top, cut out the bad cells and replace the bad with a good cell from
another battery that had some bad cells with a few good ones left, then he
would heat up the tar and reseal the battery, refill with fresh battery acid

something about the batteries made today have me a little worried, it seems
they just will not last long, I suspect part of it is a lower concentrate of
acid in them to save money

another tip

the acid you remove, put in a 5 gallon plastic bucket and let it evaporate
to solid, later you have two choices, either take it to the city's hazmat
day for disposal or it can be used as a fertilizer in your yard

Clint